Biodiversity Net Gain
What is Biodiversity Net Gain offsetting?
From 12th February 2024, developers in England will be legally required to deliver at least 10% “Biodiversity Net Gain” (BNG) on new housing, industrial or commercial developments. This means that each development must leave nature in a better state than it was found by creating or improving wildlife habitats and maintaining them for 30 years. This should be delivered on-site within developments where possible, but if it isn't developers can "offset" their BNG by paying nearby landowners to deliver habitat creation and enhancement works on their land instead.
Adonis Blue and BTF Partnership joint services
We have joined forces with BTF Partnership to offer a full suite of BNG offset solutions for developers, landowners, and local planning authorities in Kent and neighbouring counties.
Bringing together BTF’s 30+ years’ experience as the South East’s top land agent with our our own extensive track record delivering biodiversity uplift across Kent, we offer a full package of services to support clients through every step of the BNG process – from the assessment, management, and monitoring of habitats, to understanding offset needs and connecting developments with the perfect offset solution.
Services for developers and LPAs
- Assessing the biodiversity impact and offset requirements of developments using the Defra Metric.
- Identify local offsetting projects that fulfil the client’s BNG needs - we will soon be launching a portal to display BNG offsets we have available for sale across Kent.
- Mediating contract agreements with offset providers.
- Preparing all paperwork required by the local planning authority to ensure full legal compliance.
- Ensuring 30-year maintenance of BNG by supporting delivery of section 106 agreement obligations, acting as a “responsible body” in a conservation covenant.
- Providing training for planning officers
Services for farmers and land managers
If you are a landowner and interested in delivering BNG offsets on your land, we can assess the feasibility and potential income from your land, develop your BNG project, and help to sell your units to local developers. Our services for land managers include (but are not limited to):
- Conducting fully costed land evaluations to assess income potential for BNG and other nature-based solutions.
- Developing detailed 30-year habitat management and monitoring plans and supporting their implementation.
- Advertising your BNG units on our exclusive high-integrity BNG portal.
- Securing investment funding and mediating contract agreements with suitable developers.
With a 20+ year track record of designing and delivering biodiversity enhancements for clients across Kent, our BNG solutions can be trusted to reliably deliver significant long-term biodiversity uplift which never cuts corners and maximises your land's potential to deliver for nature. Our BNG offsetting solutions are underpinned by Kent Wildlife Trust Group's high integrity principles, ensuring that maximum benefits are delivered for nature and protected in the long term.
Right habitat in the right place. We thoughtfully choose the most appropriate habitat interventions to ensure our BNG offsetting solutions strategically support local nature recovery priorities and contribute to wider landscape-level conservation goals. This approach integrates the latest environmental research and is aligned with the conservation vision of the Kent Nature Partnership, which calls for a bigger, better and more joined up network of natural spaces across the county.
Maximising benefits for nature. Our BNG solutions go above and beyond to deliver 20% minimum uplift, and we avoid offsetting for irreplaceable or high distinctiveness habitats, or those important for local species populations. Where possible, we aim to create offset solutions that have recognisable wildlife value, with potential to become designated Local Wildlife Sites.
Sustainability. Our habitat management plans are developed with climate resilience in mind, and we consider how sites can deliver wider benefits to communities, such as reduced flood risk, air pollution barriers, and recreational opportunities.
Delivering a bespoke service. We consider the local nuances of each project and tailor our service to match each development with the best offset solution. BTF’s knowledge of rural land ownership in Kent and the Southeast is second to none, while our work with farmer clusters gives us a strong understanding of land management across the farmed landscape.
To find out more, or to sign up to our register of offset buyers and sellers, get in touch via the enquiry form below.